Thursday, April 2, 2009

Week 9: Podcasts, Video & Downloadable audio - Thing 20, 21, & 22

Thing #20 - Discover YouTube and a few sites that allow users to upload and share videos. Here is a video that I really like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZblrRs3fkSU UTube is so easy that I now understand what the hype is all about. It is so great to know what the kids and other adults are looking at. I can't wait to see more librarian videos. I think SJPL should make some really fun ones! I would love to be part of that. Another librarian showed me March of the Librarians and I love that one too! You can see comercials and band performances too! This is a very easy site to navigate and upload videos to.

Thing #21 - Podcasts (You don’t need an iPod!). I waisted a bunch of time trying podcast.net and for some reason, none of the podcasts would download. I will now try postcastalley.com which did not work out that great either. So I finally tried yahoo podcasts and found "Spellcheck does Avalon High" which is a teen reviewing the book "Avalon High" from the Sunnyvale Library. This is a great idea for teens to get involved in revieing YA books. And it is cute that her code name is Spellcheck like a DJ name. This is a Prime Speaks program. Prime is a librarian who lets teens peer review books through podcasting and reviews books himself through various podcasts. This reminds me of a college DJ format of programming. It is really cool to know that storytimes and book reviews can be podcast to library users. I tried to get pull the RSS feed into my Bloglines account as well and I forgot my yahoo ID and password. There are so many IDs & passwords that we need a secure way to organize those. I've tried to use the same ones but it is impossible as many usernames are already taken. The most important thng I learned is to locate where to add podcasts & RSS feeds into my bloglines account. I just lost the original podcast.

Thing #22 - eBooks and Audio eBooks. I looked for the ebook Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. I am so happy we have the eBook. I actually was able to download the ebook but it is not intuitive to put a book in the bookbag and then proceed to checkout and then download the book. I wish this was a 1 step process instead of a 3 step process. I understand that bookbag is intened to be in place of shopping cart and proceed to checkout is the same but it is sort of confusing. I hope someday that our eBooks are much more intuitive and easier to checkout with one simple click.

No comments:

Post a Comment