Thursday, April 2, 2009

Week 7: Wikis - Thing 16 & 17

Thing #16 - Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them. I first looked at "Library Success: A best practices wiki." There was so much to check out on this wiki. I specifically liked "Self-Promotion Tips for New Librarians" where it gives suggestions on how to make sure you are adding a positive contribution to the library field. It is so easy to forget that there are so many other libraries out there facing the same challenges that we do. It is always good to get out and meet other librarians and talk with them about what new things they are doing. This reminds me to get more involved in associations to keep current with new ideas, especially in children's librarianship. For example, many libraries previously did MySpace pages and now we are in the Facebook era. Our new SPL Facebook page has encouraged our branch to create an ELK Facebook page as well as my own Miss Christy page for our storytime crowd.

Thing #17 - Add an entry to the SPL -Learning Wiki Sandbox. Wow, I just added my blog to the staff blog list. At first I had some difficulties because it wasn't displaying the editing tabs. I should have printed out the directions as suggested. I actually forgot that I missed this step and had to come back after finishing my blog to correct it. Well, its finally on there. Libraries could use a wiki to talk about their bookclubs, for example, my ELK Children's Book Club so our members could share information about the books we are reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment